23 Jun Non-Toxic Men’s Products
Clean non-toxic men’s products are just as important as clean beauty products for women. Harmful toxic effects do not discriminate or give you immunity due to your sexual orientation. Our skin is our largest organ, and is porous, meaning it absorbs every single thing we put on it. When we apply products to our skin that are laden with synthetic and toxic chemicals, these chemicals can successfully pass through the upper layers of the skin and are available for absorption by the bloodstream and/or lymphatic system. This is the primary reason clean beauty and skincare choices are so important. We do NOT want these 9 most common toxic chemicals listed below in our bloodstream or lymphatic system, because as you can see, they have the potential to wreak havoc on our hormones and cause all sorts of other health problems.
- Parabens are proven endocrine disruptors and leading to many hormonal imbalances. This toxic chemical even has even been linked to breast cancer…yikes! Yes men can also get breast cancer. This study found concentrations of parabens in human breast tumors, and this study found that 99% of all cancerous breast tumors contained parabens.
- Artificial Fragrance/Parfum
- This category of toxins can be pretty sneaky, as it is usually simply labeled as “fragrance” in products. Men, hate to burst your bubble…but these toxic “fragrances” are in most all products even if they are labeled to smell like “wood and sage”. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Database, fragrance concoctions have been linked to potential negative effects on reproductive organs(think sperm count, quality, and morphology), allergies, dermatitis, and respiratory distress.
- Phthalates, similar to parabens, are known endocrine disruptors and have been linked to increased risk of breast cancer (check out this study), early breast development in girls, and reproductive defects in males and females. Unfortunately, phthalate usage is not always disclosed on every product, and is commonly hidden in “fragrance” mixtures.
- Sodium Laurel (SLS) & Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- SLS and SLES have the potential to interact and combine with other chemicals in products to form nitrosamines, a carcinogen. Nitrosamines are known to irritate the skin, lungs, and eyes; and this study found that nitrosamines are linked to more severe issues such as kidney and respiratory damage.
- Toluene has been linked to causation of birth defects, and can also be toxic to the immune system. This study found that exposure to toluene vapors may cause developmental damage in the fetus, therefore pregnant women should especially avoid exposure to this toxic chemical.
- Polyethelene Glycol (PEG)
- PEG contains ethylene oxide (a classified carcinogen) and 1-4 dioxane. These chemicals have been shown to cause respiratory problems, and have been strongly associated with dermatitis and hives.
- Triclosan is an antibacterial agent, meaning it kills all bacteria, including the good stuff. Most of us know that we want a healthy balance of bacteria in our gut. Well, we also want a healthy balance of bacteria in our skin, our outer microbiome….aka, we don’t want to be lathering ourselves in antimicrobial agents like triclosan. Triclosan is also a known endocrine disruptor. especially harmful to thyroid and reproductive hormones. Last thing….this study linked triclosan to gut inflammation and promotion of tumor growth.
- Oxybenzone is yet again, a known endocrine disruptor, and has been shown to suppress thyroid function. Oxybenzone is primarily used in most all chemical sunscreens…but is also found in some moisturizers, lip balms, and lotions.
- Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, and is linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity. This chemical is mainly used as a preserving agent in cosmetics.
Below I have provided EWG ingredient approved non-toxic men’s products that you can purchase on Amazon with the click of a button.
Top Non-Toxic Men’s Products
Doji – Spray option
Schmidt’s– Best price
Shampoo and Hair Care
Have you considered making the switch over to non toxic mens toiletries yet? If you are overwhelmed or on a tight budget start with 3 simple items like toothpaste, deodorant, and sunscreen. Reach out to us @thrivalnutrition and let us know what products you love the most!