05 Apr Marshmallow Root Cough + Sore Throat Gummies
Suffering from a cough or sore throat from a cold? I love using these gummies in our house to help us battle these symptoms naturally. These can actually be more a white/ivory color versus a brown. Hahaha, I totally wanted to mention that first because I know the color doesn’t look appealing. Also, the white dots you see in the picture, that’s just a little bit of arrowroot that’s dried on!
But I don’t have any white sugar in the house, just coconut sugar, hence the brown color in the gummies! The taste is good though – no worries!
Marshmallow root has been used for years to be helpful with cold symptoms, such as coughs and sore throats. It has a mucilage affect that can help soothe and coat the throat and digestive tract. Marshmallow root is very fibrous, which is how it can create that gel feel.
Because it soothes the digestive tract inflammation, marshmallow root is a common herb that is used for leaky gut. The flavonoids in the marshmallow root can help stimulate your immune system, which is ideal for when you are battling something right?
I like to take these gummies as needed, but no more than 12 in a day. Because the marshmallow root is so fibrous – it might soften your stools and get things flowing. (That may be a good thing for some people ? )
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3 Tbs Gelatin
- 2 Tbs Powdered Marshmallow Root
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- Arrowroot Powder
- Mix the 3/4 cup of water with the gelatin and marshmallow root in a bowl. Mix it up until its well combined and set aside.
- In a pot on the stove on medium heat, heat up the 1 cup of water with coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Bring to a boil.
- While the sugar water is heating up, take an 8×8 glass pan and powder it with some arrowroot powder to prevent the gummies from sticking on it.
- Once the sugar water starts boiling, take it off the heat and using a hand mixer start putting the gelatin mixture into the sugar water.
- Mix until it’s well combined.
- Pour the mix into the glass plan and let it cool for a couple of hours. Or you can place the pan in the fridge and let it sit until the gummies are firm.
- Cut into 20-25 squares when done.
- Store in fridge for 10 days.