17 Feb Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
Got picky eaters or not a fan of butternut squash? I have both! Butternut squash isn’t my *favorite* vegetable. I try to cook it and use it in different ways, but it’s not my go-to vegetable. I do love adding vegetables into “uncommon” places to add extra vegetables into our diet and make it more exciting.
That’s why this cheesy butternut squash pasta sauce is AMAZING.
Kids love cheesy pasta, let’s be real. To be able to add vegetables, like butternut squash, garlic, and onion into it is a total win!
When I tested this recipe, my son was honest with me and told me it was between “ok and great”, aka good. He could tell a little bit that there was things added into it, but he ate it without acting like he was dying. Win.
I served this with shredded chicken and broccoli made in the Instant Pot (this is optional), but I always try to add a good quality protein into our meals. I added the directions to the chicken and broccoli just in case you wanted to do this too!
I served everything over rice noodles, but you can use any gluten free noodle that you love.
Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 Tbs Butter Grass-Fed
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Bone Broth
- 4-5 Cups Butternut Squash Cubed, Skinned
- 2 Cups Cheese Grass-Fed, Shredded
- 1.5 Lbs Chicken Breast Organic, Skinless, Boneless
- 3 Cups Broccoli
- 1 Cup Bone Broth
- For the chicken, add the ingredients into the Instant Pot and set to manual cook on high pressure for 18 minutes.
- For the sauce, in a skillet on medium heat, add in the butter, onions, garlic, and butternut squash. Cook in the skillet until they are soft. I will usually put a lid on top of the skillet to make it cook a little faster.
- While the vegetables cook, add the bone broth and coconut milk into a blender.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add them into the blender with the broth and coconut milk. **If you have a high speed blender, like a Blendtec, Vitamix, etc. You don't have to cook down the vegetables to be really soft. Cook them just enough to be cut.
- Blend it up for a couple minutes. Stop the blender. Add in the cheese. Continue blending until it's completely smooth. *I have a Vitamix, so I actually just put it on the "hot soup" option and blend it completely on that option and halfway through I'll take the lid off and add my cheese and put the lid back on!
- Serve this over your favorite GF noodle. I used rice noodles in the picture above.