28 Oct Butternut Squash Queso
Queso is a southern staple. It’s the highlight of any ball game, party, and most popular restaurant appetizer paired with a spicy margarita. Unfortunately, many cannot handle dairy or the fact that queso is so heavily processed… we even question the fact that it’s real cheese after all. I’ve literally watched this bright orange substance poured straight from an industrial sized aluminum can right on some tortilla chips behind the concession stand counter. No Thanks.
This creamy vegan queso may just surprise you! The butternut squash provides an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, while the cashews provide the rich healthy fats. Pair this alongside some Siete tortilla chips! They are even better than the real thing if you ask me.
If you’ve made this, share it on social media + tag us @thrivalnutrition, so we can see your creation + share it with the rest of our tribe! XO
Looking for another cheesy alternative?
Butternut Squash Queso
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash Roasted and Cubed
- 1/2 Cup Cashews Soaked
- 4 Oz Green Chilis Canned
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tbl Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbl Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Squeeze Lime Juice About 1/4 lime
- Cayenne Pepper Sprinkle on top
- 1 Cup Hot water
- 1 Bag Siete Tortilla Chips
- Soak cashews overnight or in very hot water for 1 hour
- Skin, cut, and cube butternut squash. Roast at 400 until tender. (Trader Joes also sells pre cubed organic squash in a bag)
- In a food processor, add squash, cashews, 1 cup hot water, salt, lime juice, nutritional yeast, and cumin.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Top with cayenne pepper or finely sliced jalapenos if you like it spicy
- Serve with plantain chips or Siete grain free tortilla chips.